If you’re on the keto diet, you know that eating out can be a challenge. But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered! In this article, we will show you how to eat keto, low carb and carnivore at Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is a traditional American restaurant chain with over 665 locations across the US. They serve up 11 million servings of chicken ‘n dumplings every year! And best of all, their nutritional information is available online. Worst of all a bulk of their food is not very low carb, but that is okay.
We have been eating Keto and Carnivore for around 4 years on and off. I know personally eat mostly Carnivore along with a little bit of animal based diet. So my wife has a doctors appointment in the morning so I suggested I take her and we go to Denny's afterward since that is an easy way to stick to Keto options.
She was dead set on this so I decided to do my research, eat as much of the keto options there, and write this article with my results.
Even their online nutrition data has a checkered border, which lends an air of nostalgia when you walk into a Cracker Barrel. In case you're curious, where they got the name, a cracker barrel is the 19th century version of the water cooler, where individuals would congregate and converse.
Everything about the place is intended to evoke memories of a more peaceful and less materialistic period in American history, such as the rocking chairs on the front porch. A firm favorite, with every item produced by the same company in Tennessee. They're made by the same company that produces the wallpaper in your child's bathroom. Each year, they produce around 200,000 of them to be sold exclusively at Cracker Barrel. Sock monkeys are another popular item? (To be precise, they're produced in Ozark, Missouri.)
Does Cracker Barrel Have Keto Options?
Cracker barrel has plenty of of low carb Keto options along with carnivore. The easiest options are eggs, bacon, sausage and their hamburger steak.
Perhaps the simplest way to eat low-carb is to have meat or eggs with low-carb sides, such as cheese and bacon. This is typically an alternative whenever you dine out.
Eating keto at Cracker Barrel is very easy. Just order a steak, hamburger or chicken dish and ask for no bun and no potatoes. You can also order any of their breakfast items without toast or pancakes. If you want to get really fancy, you could order something like the Steak Diane which is a New York Strip served with mushroom sauce and bacon wrapped asparagus.
Our Top Picks For Keto Meals At Cracker Barrel
Below is our personal favorite meals with all the goodies you need to stick to your keto diet. Need even more? Than order the extras below. More most of the breakfast meals they come with all the fixens which is biscuits and gravy basically. It is up to you if you want to eat the gravy or not. It is around 6-12 grams of carbs so just eat half if you want to and cover your bacon, eggs and sausage with it.
Double Meat Breakfast
Starts with three eggs* with grits plus a full order of Thick-Sliced Bacon and Smoked Sausage Patties. Comes with All the Fixin’s: Biscuits (160 cal each) and Sawmill Gravy (160 cal) plus butter and the best preserves n’ jam we could find.
Keto Style – hold the biscuits and grits *gravy optional. Order extra sausage links if you are a big eater like myself. Eggs over medium, easy, over well, or sunny side up. Do not go with scrambled because they at the time of this writing use flour (pancake mix) for their scrambled eggs.
Country Boy Breakfast
Starts with three farm fresh eggs*, Fried Apples, Hashbrown Casserole, and grits. Plus Sirloin Steak*, Sugar Cured or Country Ham (350-540 cal). Comes with All the Fixin’s: Buttermilk Biscuits (160 cal each) and Sawmill Gravy (160 cal) plus butter and the best preserves n’ jam we could find.
Keto Style – hold the biscuits and grits. Pile on the butter and eat some of the gravy as well.
There are 440 calories in a Hamburger Steak from Cracker Barrel. Most of those calories come from fat 69% which is great for keto and carnivore. 33 grams of protein and 33 grams of fat. ZERO yes 0 carbs. So have at it and add on whatever you want like sausage, eggs and bacon.
What to Avoid at Cracker Barrel
There are a many dishes you'll want to avoid if you're on the keto diet, including their chicken and dumplings, ribs, and blackberry cobbler. You may also want to skip their macaroni and cheese or green beans as they both contain high amounts of carbs.
Definitely avoid anything fried. Below are some of the foods to avoid specifically:
- Cracker Barrel sampler
- Chicken fried chicken
- Fried chicken livers
- Country fried shrimp
- Farm-raised catfish
- Sugar cured ham
- All soups
- Sides of beans, potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and corn or other starchy vegetables
- All desserts
- Fried chicken salad
- Country vegetable plate
- Apple cider BBQ chicken breast
- Baked chicken and dressing
- Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
- Pot pie
- Turkey and dressing
- Fish fry
- Homestyle chicken
- Chicken and rice
- Open faced roast beef sandwich (besides taking away the bread)
- Country fried steak
Cracker Barrel Nutrition
If you're looking for the nutritional information of Cracker Barrel, we've got you covered. Just head over to their website and check out their nutrition calculator. You can also find their menu and nutritional information HERE!
Low Carb Foods At Cracker Barrel
- Real butter: 0 grams carbs
- Bacon: 0 grams carbs
- Two turkey sausage patties: 1 gram carbs
- Two eggs, any way you like them: 2 grams carbs
- Grilled catfish: 2 grams carbs
- Ham: 2 grams carbs
- Hamburger steak with garlic butter: 1 gram carbs
- Steak: 1 gram carbs
- Blue cheese dressing: 2 grams carbs
- Eggs, 2 (2 net carbs, 10g fat, 14g protein)
- Egg Whites (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 11g protein)
- Bacon, 3 slices (0 net carbs, 16g fat, 15g protein)
- Smoked Sausage, 2 patties (0.5 net carbs, 17g fat, 14g protein)
- Sugar-Cured Ham (0.5 net carbs, 7g fat, 24g protein) – Despite its name, it’s safe for keto.
- Turkey Sausage, 2 patties (1 net carb, 6g fat, 13g protein)
- Country Ham (1 net carb, 13g fat, 33g protein)
- Grilled Southwest Sausage, 1 link (3 net carbs, 22g fat, 10g protein)
- Hamburger Steak, 8 oz. (0 net carbs, 33g fat, 33g protein)
- Catfish Fillet, grilled (0.5 net carbs, 5g fat, 9g protein)
- Grilled Pork Chop (0 net carbs, 13g fat, 35g protein)
- Hickory Smoked Ham (1 net carb, 13g fat, 33g protein)
- Grilled Country Pork Chops, 2 (0 net carbs, 25g fat, 70g protein)
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout, 2 (0.5 net carbs, 14g fat, 43g protein)
- Rib Eye Steak, 10 oz. (0 net carbs, 47g fat, 52g protein) Ask for the house salad without crackers.
- Grilled Sirloin Steak (0 net carbs, 20g fat, 53g protein)
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout (0.5 net carbs, 14g fat, 43g protein)
- Grilled Chicken Tenderloins, no sauce (5 net carbs, 6g fat, 37g protein)
- Chile Jack Chicken (12 net carbs, 18g fat, 56g protein)
- Haddock (13 net carbs, 15g fat, 49g protein)
- Turnip Greens (2 net carbs, 4g fat, 10g protein)
- Boiled Cabbage (4 net carbs, 5g fat, 2g protein)
- Country Green Beans (4 net carbs, 3g fat, 1g protein)
- Steamed Broccoli (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 4g protein)
- Mixed Green Side Salad (1 net carb, 0g fat, 1g protein)
- Southern Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Grilled Chicken Salad
- Country Chef Salad
- Buttermilk Caesar (2.5 net carbs, 29g fat, 3g protein)
- Blue Cheese (3 net carbs, 32g fat, 3g protein)
- Buttermilk Ranch (3 net carbs, 25g fat, 1g protein)
- Fat-Free Italian (4 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein) Not a top pick for keto, but the balsamic vinaigrette is way too sugary.
- Colby Cheese Shreds, 1 oz. (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 0.5g protein)\
- Green Chilies (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Bacon Pieces, 0.5 oz. (0.5 net carbs, 6g fat, 5g protein)
- Sour Cream, packet (0.5 net carbs, 5g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Tartar Sauce (2 net carbs, 14g fat, 0.5g protein
- Brown Gravy (1 net carb,2.5g fat, 0g protein)
- Turkey Gravy (2 net carbs, 0.5g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Sawmill Gravy (3 net carbs, 2.5g fat, 1g protein)
- Cottage Cheese (7 net carbs, 6g fat, 17g protein)
- Hush Puppy, each (7 net carbs, 2.5g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Turkey Noodle, cup (7.5 net carbs, 4.5g fat, 9g protein)
- Chicken Noodle, cup (9.5 net carbs, 4g fat, 7g protein)
Keto Refreshments At Cracker Barrel
- Unsweetened Iced Tea
- Diet Soda
- Diet Dr. Pepper
- Diet Root Beear
Breakfast Entrees That Are Ideal For Keto At Cracker Barrel
- Grandma’s sampler (either give away or reject the pancakes, hash browns and fried apples; ask for extra sausage or bacon instead)
- Country Boy Breakfast (No grits, hash browns, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, or strawberry jam)
- Smokehouse Breakfast (No grits and hash browns, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, or strawberry jam)
- Double Meat Breakfast (No grits, hash browns, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, or strawberry jam)
- Uncle Herschel’s favorite (Get with the 8 ounce steak; no grits, hashbrowns, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, or strawberry jam)
- Good Morning Breakfast (no grits; possibly go without the fruit)
- One egg and bacon or sausage (No biscuits or jam)
- Black coffee and unsweetened tea
Lunch Entrees That Are Ideal For Keto At Cracker Barrel
Cracker Barrel's llunch section appears to be healthy at first sight, but you should still watch out for sweet sauces and side dishes that are rich in carbohydrates. Instead follow these meals and stick with them.
- Chef salad (no croutons or dressing; deviled eggs are okay, but maybe ask for regular hard boiled eggs and vinegar dressing in place of house)
- Grilled Chicken Salad (no croutons or dressing; deviled eggs are okay, but maybe ask for regular hard boiled eggs and vinegar dressing in place of house)
- Southern Grilled Chicken Caesar (no croutons or dressing; deviled eggs are okay, but maybe ask for regular hard boiled eggs and vinegar dressing in place of house)
- House Salad (no croutons, ask for oil and vinegar dressing)
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout (get this with a side salad or steamed broccoli no biscuits or corn muffins)
- Chicken BLT (choose grilled chicken instead of fried; ask for no bread and get a side salad in place of fries and coleslaw)
- Prime rib French dip sandwich platter (hold the bun, au jus sauce, and horseradish sauce; ask for a side salad in place of fries and coleslaw)
- Chicken tenderloin (ask for grilled chicken instead of fried; make your sides steamed broccoli and a side salad with oil and vinegar dressing)
- Grilled chicken tenderloins (order these with steamed vegetables or a side salad)
- Seasonal fresh fruit and fresh apple slices are OK if you are low-carb but NOT ALLOWED for strict keto
Dinner At Cracker Barrel Keto Style
- Grilled pork chops (ask for steamed broccoli or a side salad instead of country vegetables; hold the biscuits or corn muffin)
- Broccoli cheddar chicken (hold the cheese sauce and ask for shredded cheese instead; ask for steamed broccoli or a side salad as your side)
- Maple jam and bacon burger (ask for no maple onion jam or bun; get a side salad in place of fries and coleslaw)
- Signature burger (no bun or mayo; ask for a side salad in place of fries and coleslaw; you can also get this with two patties)
- Roast beef dinner (ask for no gravy on the roast beef; your sides should be steamed broccoli and a side salad)
- Ten ounce ribeye steak (make your sides steamed broccoli and a side salad with oil and vinegar dressing)
- Grilled sirloin steak (make your sides steamed broccoli and a side salad with oil and vinegar dressing)
- Half pound hamburger steak (choose a side house salad with oil and vinegar dressing and steamed broccoli as your side dishes)
- Hickory smoked country ham (choose a side house salad with oil and vinegar dressing and steamed broccoli as your side dishes)
My Personal Dishes I Order At Cracker Barrel
- Eggs Over Medium
- Hamburger Steak
That's it pretty much sometimes I switch it up with some scrambled eggs or something, but for the most part this gets you enough fat and protein while keeping it low carb to remain optimal in ketosis.
Other Things To Watch Out For At Cracker Barrel
Scrambled Eggs – cracker barrel adds flour to their scrambled eggs. So stay away from that and get fried unless you ask for fresh scrambled eggs without flour. I was shocked too. It's actually pancake mix that they use to make them fluffier, as I recall correctly. Apparently, a lot of the chain restaurants do it, according to IHOP. The key for Cracker Barrel is to either request Farm Fresh eggs or Egg Whites. I had no idea about this until I asked why the eggs were not labeled.
Cracker Barrel is a great place to eat keto, low carb and carnivore. The restaurant offers plenty of healthy options that fit within these dietary restrictions. You can find meals like grilled chicken salads, pork chops, and ribeye steaks on the menu. Just be sure to avoid anything that is breaded or served with a sugary sauce. With a little bit of planning, you can enjoy a delicious meal at Cracker Barrel while sticking to your diet plan.